Saturday, July 18, 2015

Baby Van Sciver

Dear ones,

I never thought I would venture into the blogging realm, but because of the circumstances of our lives, we have arrived here. We want to have a platform to communicate with our loved ones as we navigate through this storm we are presently going through. Thank you for being a part of this journey we are embarking on.


This past Friday, July 10th, Artie and I went in for our routine mid-pregnancy ultrasound for our second child due in early December. We were joyfully anticipating seeing our little baby on that screen and eventually finding out the gender. We have done much traveling this summer and found one day we could squeeze in this appointment. For the past few weeks I have been feeling those little kicks and I couldn't wait to see what was going on inside of me. 


We were not 30 seconds into the scan, when the ultrasound technician told us something was very wrong and she needed to go get the doctor. There was a heartbeat, but something was not measuring right with our baby's head. Our worst fears were realized when the doctor told us,


"Your baby will not be compatible with life outside the womb. I am so sorry."


And with those words, our world turned upside down. Everything we have been dreaming of since we found out in March we were pregnant again: planning for life with two children in the home, Adele getting to be a big sister, holding and snuggling a newborn, navigating through the early challenges of nursing, and much much more. We were sent upstairs to meet with another doctor, a genetic counselor and have a more detailed ultrasound, which confirmed the diagnosis.


Anencephaly. A neural tube defect. In those early days of pregnancy before I even knew we were, our precious baby's skull and brain did not properly form. We also found out we have a son. We cried tears of joy and great sadness when she told us. Our sweet baby boy. Kicking, squirming, and putting his little hand to his mouth. A strong heartbeat. He can live and thrive in my body and he has a chance to make it to full term. But how do you prepare to both meet and say goodbye to your child?




These past few days have been, by far, the hardest days of my life. Grief, sorrow, and uncertainty with what lies ahead for our little family. In these days while the news is still "sinking in", I have found comfort in these words:


"But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you out by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through the fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.'"  Isaiah 43:1-3


and these as well...



"Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
his understanding is unsearchable.
 He gives power to the faint,
and to him who has no might he increases strength.
 Even youths shall faint and be weary,
and young men shall fall exhausted;
 but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint."  Isaiah 40:28-31

A major trial has come our way. When I look at the road ahead of us, I don't know how we are going to get through this and I weep at the thought of what's to come. We do not know the outcome, but we know that our God will be with us, give us what we need, and not let this consume us. 


In the coming days and weeks, we will try our best to keep you, family and dear friends, updated on this precious little boy, who is already loved so deeply by his Mommy and Daddy.


15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kittery, I sit here with tears streaming down my face as I cry out to our heavenly Father on behalf of your sweet family. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I know the pain of losing a baby but I was not as far along and did not have the same level of anticipation. The Lord was my greatest source of strength, just pressing into Him and laying everything at His feet. I had to learn to let go of what I can't understand and trust that His will is perfect even when it doesn't make any sense at all to us. I also found great comfort in talking and praying with other women who have experienced the same or similar things. I am and will pray for a miracle. Our God can do anything. I also pray that He upholds you and Artie for whatever He wills. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying this morning for peace that only HE can give. He is preparing your hearts for a testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written Kittery and Artie. I love the word hope. We are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also kittery, I truly hope it's ok with you if along with peace and strength for what is to come that we also pray for a miracle. For complete healing of your sweet baby boy. I have also lost a baby. But not near as far along. I understand its not the same at all. But our God is the same. He walks us through storms so that we won't be burned by fire. I learned that by holding fast to him during our loss. We will continue to be in prayer daily for your sweet family. -jenna Whitman

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through your cousin. I am so very sorry and will be praying for you guys. This is a club no one ever wants to be a part of. We said hello and then goodbye for now to our sweet Evans last year. My heart aches for what this journey holds for you. But, Jesus is near, and you will grow to understand parts of the Father you never knew before. Saying that, I know I'd trade that knowledge and closer walk w/ Him to have my boy here w/ me, no doubt. Again, I am so sorry. Are you familiar w/ songwriter and singer Christa Black. Her blog was of extreme comfort to me. Her little girl was born w/ anencephaly last year too. Check out www.christablack.com Big hugs and lots of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you two. Thank you for the honesty and faith in sharing your unique burden with those who care about you. Your fan in Christ, Mike Moses

    ReplyDelete
  8. Artie and Kittery, I'm so sorry this is happening. Thank you for sharing. There are honestly no words to say unless you have actually gone through something like this. Praying that the God of comfort would draw so near to you in this season. "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all." Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kittery and Artie, in this life it continues to become abundantly clear why Christ was called the "Man of Many Sorrows." How could He not be when our Savior experiences our pain intimately, and right alongside of us. It's a painfully high calling, to bear a child who will be so quickly adopted by our Heavenly Father, but your little boy will be a part of your life more than you can ever imagine. Our own sweet Gideon is a daily part of our family and through these upcoming days I pray for Gods strength, preparation, comfort and peace to be heavily upon you. So much love...the Furloughs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you don't know me but I saw this posted from a Facebook friend. I am very sorry for what you are going through. I'm not sure of your denomination, but I am Catholic and find strength from St. Gerard, the Patron Saint of Expectant Mothers. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kevin Tormes contacted me the day you guys find out. We too just walked this same road. We'd be honored to walk with you, cry with you, love with you or anything you need. www.lifeloveacrania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are lifting your dear family up before Our Merciful, All-Sufficient Father. May He hide you in the shadow of His wings; may He go before you and direct your steps; may He love you with an everlasting love; may He guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus and give you peace. Artie, Kittery and Adele, we love you. -Keg A.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our hearts are broken for you and we are praying daily for your family. We love your little boy too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kittery and Artie, please know of our prayers to our great God for all four of you. May His peace that is beyond our comprehension - beyond our understanding - guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. I pray that He would hold all four of you so very close unto Himself and that you all would know His great, great love for you. I pray for healing for Baby Van Sciver - whether it would be here or fully in heaven with our Lord. He holds precious Baby Van Sciver in His caring, loving, omnipotent hands. I pray that He would encourage you with a firm and wonderful knowledge of Himself that we can trust Him fully even in the midst of things we don't understand - to know that our faith is not in the diagnosis but in our great God. Dear Father, please hold this whole precious family close to Yourself that You would love on them greatly in the midst of their tears and that they would love on each other through You. We love you all - Artie, Kittery, Adele, and Baby Van Sciver! Please let us know what we can pray for, and please let us know anything whatsoever that we can do to be of any help otherwise to all of you. With great love in Christ, Bryan, Keg, and family

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry for what you are going through! I pray you and your family find strength and peace during this time. I will also pray for a miracle as God works in mysterious ways there is always hope! God bless!

    ReplyDelete