Sunday, August 16, 2015

Be A Friend Like Mine

I have this friend, Kim. I don't know if many people get to experience a friendship like this, but I sure am thankful God has placed her in my life. It was 10 years ago this summer I got my roommate assignment for my freshman year at Davidson, and about 10 years to the day that we met as she moved into our dorm room. After only a few weeks, we knew it was a great match (bravo, Davidson, bravo). She quickly became one of my biggest fans (I played volleyball at Davidson).


Fall semester '05, our freshman year
We were one of the few original pairs from our class that stayed together all 4 years at Davidson. And I believe we might be the only pair that shared a room for all four years. Neither of us studied abroad and we never lived in an apartment with separate rooms. Other than Artie now, I have never shared a room with someone that long, not even as a child.

On one of the many adventures we went on during our college years - this one being a trip to Detroit to watch our Davidson Wildcats men's basketball team play in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games in 2008. Go Cats and go Steph Curry!

College is a time of self-discovery and we got to do that together. Big assignments, lots of papers and tests to study for, late nights studying. We also made big life decisions about what would be next. Shortly after college, we had the privilege of standing beside one another on the day we married our husbands. 



And even though there have been many changes, many moves, many joys and disappointments, this friendship has not waned. And as we both are back in the Charlotte area and our families our growing, it has been nothing but a blessing to have my Kimmy just around I-485.

For those of you who know me and Artie, you know that we do not have our families nearby. My family is from Florida, Artie's is from Connecticut. North Carolina is the middle point and we can very easily do a day's drive to see either of our families. But during a time like this we feel the distance. We both come from great families who would do almost anything for us, especially during this trial. But in the gap of the physical presence of our families, we are so grateful to have friends who are like family.

Kim was there as we brought our daughter home from the hospital after her birth last spring. She brought us a meal when we returned home from our travels this summer. And chocolate. And a puzzle. And a movie. And books for Adele. Last week, I had a prenatal appointment with our midwife, but Artie was unable to be there because of timing and location. Kim was there as I dealt with billing, asked questions about delivery of anencephaly babies, and heard Arthur's strong heartbeat. While each day is tinged with sadness, this ended up being a wonderful day, getting quality time with my best friend and hearing the signs of life of my sweet and busy boy.

Kim, left; Me and Arthur, middle; Kathy, right
If you ever go through something like what we are going through, I hope you have a friend like Kim. If you know someone who is going through a hard time, I hope you can be a friend like her. 



Thank you to all who prayed for us on Wednesday. Arthur is growing and has a strong heartbeat. Artie has has been able to feel him move now too. Thank you to all who have reached out to us with letters, text messages, phone calls and gifts. Thank you to those who have initiated toward us. We have so many great friends who aren't afraid to be near us in our sadness. We have much to be grateful for.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys, and thankful for this supportive friendship... a true sign of God's powerful presence at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praising God for giving you Kim as a companion to go through life with. That is a true blessing. You're looking beautiful as sweet Arthur grows bigger inside of you. I'm grateful for your blog...and your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are blessed Kittery - you to have her as your friend and me to have her as my daughter-in-law. Kim is such a special person. She was so full of love and support to me this past week when I lost my mother.

    ReplyDelete